Deep down, we are all afraid of something. However, many Treasure Valley residents suffer from dental anxiety and dread going to visit their Boise dentist. Even worse, the pandemic has increased this fear for even more people. Why? The mouth is one of the primary sources of transmission. That’s why everyone at Summit Dental Group goes to extreme measures to keep our patients and ourselves safe. This includes sanitization and the use of personal protective equipment.
While the world has changed drastically over the past year, dental care still needs to go on. That’s why we’d like to provide you with the following ways to prepare for an upcoming dental appointment and how to deal with COVID-19 dental anxiety.
How To Deal With Dental Anxiety During The Pandemic
Your Boise dentist at Summit Dental Group is here to provide you with comfort and security during your dental treatment. Below are some tips on how you can work with us as a team to overcome your dental anxiety during this time.
Communicate With Your Boise Dentist
Being honest about any health conditions you might have during the pandemic is crucial. That’s why you should always communicate with our office about the following:
- Be honest about your vital signs, possible exposure to the virus, travel history, and any anxiety triggers that you may have.
- Inform us if you are experiencing a dental emergency or not.
- Inform us of any underlying medical conditions you may have that could classify you as a high-risk patient.
Strict Sanitation & Disinfection Protocols
The CDC has set specific guidelines for dentists to ensure the safety of their patients and staff. Following the recommended protocols below will go a long way to making you feel more secure that you’ve done your best to keep you and everyone else safe.
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds.
- Frequently use hand sanitizer with an alcohol level of 60% or higher.
- Wear face masks in public and other protective equipment like face shields.
- Practice proper social distancing.
- Dispose of or wash face masks frequently.
- Stay home if you are feeling sick.
- Don’t touch public surfaces with your bare hands.
Keep Yourself Educated
There’s no better way to stay safe during the pandemic than staying up-to-date on all the ways you can get infected by the virus. According to the CDC, transmission is most likely to happen the following ways.
- Being in close contact with people outside of your household.
- Transfer occurs when respiratory droplets from a cough or sneeze reach another person’s nose or mouth.
- Touching contaminated surfaces before touching your nose, mouth, or eyes.
- Coming into close contact with symptomatic or asymptomatic people who carry the virus.
Preparing For Your Dental Appointment
To help ease dental anxiety during the pandemic, it’s important to prepare for your upcoming dental appointment. Do this by informing your dental office when you’ve arrived and refrain from visiting with others around you. Have your insurance card with you, wear a mask, and keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on hand. This will help to reduce the chances of getting infected by the COVID-19 virus.
Wear Personal Protective Equipment
The three main ways of getting the COVID-19 virus are through your nose, mouth, and eyes. That’s why it’s essential to have the following items with you during your dental treatment:
- A Facemask to protect your mouth and nose.
- A Face Shield to protect your eyes.
- Hand Sanitizer with an alcohol of 60% or higher.
- Disinfectant spray for the inside of your car.
Summit Dental Group
At Summit Dental Group, we go to great lengths to keep our patients and staff safe by implementing strict guidelines. Our practice is open to provide dental care services to the Treasure Valley community. If you suffer from dental or COVID-19 anxiety, let us know how we can help you by contacting us directly. Simply fill out our online form or give us a call at (208) 345-8962 today. We look forward to seeing your beautiful smile and keeping you safe during these uncertain times.