A dental emergency can be a very serious issue. Whether you broke a tooth, lost a filling, or have a toothache, it’s essential to contact your Boise dentist at Summit Dental Group for help. That’s why we’d like to provide you the following things you can do to safeguard your oral health in the event of a dental emergency. Keep in mind that it’s essential not to ignore the problem, even if the pain subsides.
- React quickly but be careful. If a tooth has become dislodged or lost, be careful to find all the missing pieces before heading to your Boise dentist or emergency room. In some cases, it may be possible to restore the lost tooth.
- If a tooth gets knocked out, only handle it by the crown. Next, carefully rinse it with warm water, but don’t scrub or wash away any tissue remaining on the tooth, and gently place the tooth in a cup of milk. If possible, put the tooth back into the socket of the mouth and hold it in place. If you can get to your Boise dentist within an hour, the tooth may be able to be restored.
- If a tooth gets broken, gently cleanse your mouth by rinsing with warm water and apply a cold compress to your face to help reduce any pain or swelling. Make sure to find any pieces of the tooth and contact your Boise dentist right away.
- If you happen to bite your lip or tongue, treat the area with pressure from a cold compress to reduce any pain or swelling. If heavy bleeding occurs, it’s important to visit your local emergency room as soon as possible.
- If you find yourself suffering from a toothache, take an over-the-counter pain reliever like Tylenol or Ibuprofen and carefully brush and floss your teeth to remove any food or other debris that may be trapped between teeth. Next, contact your Boise dentist to describe your discomfort as soon as possible.
- A broken or fractured jaw should be addressed immediately at your local emergency room. In the meantime, apply a cold compress while en route to reduce any pain or swelling.
- Loose or broken wires from braces can cause pain, irritation, and damage to surrounding tissues. If you find yourself in this situation, apply orthodontic wax or gauze to the affected wire to cover any sharp or jagged ends. Next, contact your Boise dentist for immediate treatment.
Summit Dental Group
If you find yourself dealing with a dental emergency, it’s important to visit your Boise dentist as soon as possible. At Summit Dental Group, we offer affordable treatments and accept most dental insurance providers. We also offer payment plans to meet your financial needs. Failure to seek treatment can result in more extensive and costly dental care in the future. To learn more about our dental practice in Boise, Idaho, contact us today by filling out our online form or give us a call at (208) 345-8962.