Your toothbrush plays an important role in your Boise dental health and hygiene. However, did you know that your toothbrush is also the perfect breeding ground for germs, bacteria and even fungus? Yuck!
According to the American Dental Association, an illness such as the cold or flu can be extended by the reintroduction of germs through your toothbrush. This can be especially dangerous to those who suffer from a chronic illness or a low immune system. Even worse, the bacteria and germs from a toothbrush can cause an unwanted infection, causing serious health issues if you experience trauma to your gum tissues.
To avoid problems such as these while keeping your teeth and gums healthy, it’s important to keep your toothbrush clean and replace it every 3-4 months. Sterilizing your toothbrush will not only reduce a number of harmful microorganisms, it will also reduce the chance of extending and contracting unnecessary illnesses.
Simple methods for keeping your toothbrush clean:
- Wash your hands with soap and water before brushing your teeth.
- Rinse your toothbrush thoroughly with clean water after brushing.
- Store your toothbrush away from the toilet where it can air-dry between uses.
- Store multiple toothbrushes in separate containers where they don’t touch each other.
- Do not store your toothbrush in a drawer, cabinet or toothbrush protector. Doing so will promote the growth of unwanted bacteria.
- Check your toothbrush for signs of wear and tear and replace it sooner than 3-4 months if the bristles begin to fray.
Additionally, in order to properly sanitize your toothbrush (especially after an illness) is to dilute hydrogen peroxide in water and place your toothbrush head inside the solution for 10-15 minutes. Make sure to rinse the toothbrush thoroughly with water afterward and store it in an upright container to air-dry.
Summit Dental Group
If you’re concerned about your Boise dental health or would like more information about your oral hygiene contact Summit Dental Group today. Our Boise dentists would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have while providing you with superior dental services. Give us a call at (208) 345-8962 to schedule an appointment today!