Boise teeth whitening is one of the most popular, asked-for, cosmetic dentistry procedures today. Why? Think about it. Your smile is one of the first things people see. Not only does a bright smile boost self-confidence, it commands the attention of everyone you meet. Unfortunately though, many people often find themselves hiding their smiles due to yellowed or stained teeth. At Summit Dental we offer a variety of teeth whitening Boise options that will help to eliminate stubborn & embarrassing stains while enhancing the overall look of your smile.
When considering a professional Boise teeth whitening treatment, it’s important to understand what causes your teeth to become discolored. While it seems like teeth are smooth and hard like porcelain, tooth enamel is actually composed of microscopic pores that gradually become stained over time as we age. Over the years tooth enamel is eventually worn down, becoming more and more transparent, allowing the color of dentin – the core material of your tooth – to show through.
While discoloration is a natural sign of aging, there are other common teeth staining causes:
- Food & drinks – Red wine, coffee, tea, cola, berries, pasta sauces, vinegars, etc., can all contribute to enamel erosion and cause considerable staining over time
- Smoking – Nicotine from cigarettes & chewing tobacco leaves behind brown residue that slowly soaks into the tooth enamel causing discoloration.
- Medications & Mouthrinses – Antihistamines like Benadryl, and mouthwashes that contain chlorhexidine and cetylpyridinium chloride can stain teeth.
- Poor Dental Hygiene – Inadequate brushing, flossing, and rinsing can lead to an overabundance of plaque and stain-causing residues.
Discoloration comes in two forms: extrinsic and intrinsic. Extrinsic stains are surface level stains left over from what you eat and drink. Brushing your teeth at home with an over-the-counter whitening toothpaste helps to remove normal extrinsic stains acquired throughout the day. Intrinsic stains on the other hand are located below the enamel and are caused by years of stain exposure.
Boise Teeth Whitening Options
At Summit Dental, we recommend having your teeth cleaned by one of our dental hygienists twice a year in order to remove built up tartar and plaque. A professional Boise teeth cleaning also includes tooth scaling and tooth polishing. During your teeth cleaning appointment and exam, you can then ask to have your teeth professionally whitened. Below are some of the teeth whitening options we offer:
- One hour, in office “laser” whitening – This procedure is ideal for patients who want fast results and are not interested in at-home treatments.
- At-home tray whitening – This procedure involves the patient wearing a custom dental tray for approximately 30 minutes per day, while at home, until desired results occur.
- Crest Professional White Strips – These white strips are 4 times stronger and faster than the store bought brand Crest White Strips.
Keep in mind that teeth whitening results vary from person to person. Before beginning a Boise teeth whitening process, consult with your Boise dentist for a realistic idea of what you can expect to achieve and how long it should take to achieve them. It’s also important to note that over whitening can also cause loss of enamel, or translucent or unnatural looking teeth. A good rule of thumb is that the color of your teeth should match the whites of your eyes.
To ensure the health and beauty of your smile, schedule an appointment at Summit Dental before choosing over-the-counter tooth whiteners. As your #1 Boise dentist, we take pride in the dental services we offer and promise to make the best recommendation based on your individual needs. Call us at (208) 345-8962 today!